Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review: Sahara Sam's Oasis, Indoor and Outdoor Water Park




About 5 years ago, my son and I went to Sahara Sam's for the very first time. We were invited to a birthday party. The idea was pretty cool, because there aren't too many places around where you can go swimming in November! But when we got there, we honestly didn't have too great of a time. To be fair, he was little and that was back before they opened the outdoor Beach Club.

I was told that I would have to pay for myself, even though I wasn't planning on swimming myself. Apparently spectators need tickets, too. Ugh. Really? The birthday kid's mom said I could just drop my kiddo off because the party only included a small amount of adults with the kids, which would be her and her hubby and some other relatives. There was no way I was going to leave my kid who isn't a strong swimmer without 1:1 supervision. Lifeguards or no lifeguards. I also rented a locker, which set me back $10, before finding out from the party host that there was a complimentary storage bin for party guests. Oh well. My kid was only 5 at the time and not very brave or experienced with swimming. We hung out in the Lizard Lagoon or "the little kid area" as many call it. It got old fast, but the larger areas were daunting to my little guy.


We tried out the Slam Dunker, which is a pool with basketball nets. It's a great idea, except they use real standard sized basketballs and when they rebound innocent bystanders get bonked in the head. This made my kid cry. It was also really crowded and very loud. The music booms overhead and there are frequent announcements on the loudspeaker, but you can't really make out what they are saying. It was sensory overload. The arcade was also super loud and super crowded. We ended up leaving early. I figured my kiddo wasn't quite ready for all this.


Fast forward 5 years. My kid is now 10. He's much braver and not quite as sensitive. We came with some cousins and he had a great time. He still isn't big on water slides, but adores standing under the giant bucket of spilling water in Tim-buk-tu, a really fun play area full of smaller water slides and more. We also loved the Congo Bongo, aka The Lazy River. 



We were excited to hear that they had built an outdoor area, The Beach Club. It was too cold out to check it out that day, but we decided to buy Annual Passes for the whole family! They were having a special deal and it was cheaper than joining our town's swim club and THIS MEMBERSHIP is good all year round. Who can argue with that? I love a deal!

As soon as we could, we went back with a friend to check out The Beach Club. It has a wave pool (like the ocean, but with clear water!), a regular pool, and a sprayground play area. We LOVE it now!




 Tri-State Hot Spots gives Sahara Sam's
3 out of 3 thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment